One of the reasons that bankruptcy can be so stressful is because there are a lot of mistakes that you can make if you’re not getting the help that you need from a bankruptcy attorney. Here are some of the biggest mistakes that you can avoid with the help of per diem attorneys in New York.
- You have to get credit counseling as part of your bankruptcy; some people forget to do it, which makes the process harder. Your attorney can get you a connection, get you scheduled, and get the whole thing ready to roll.
- Some people try to pay back friends and family before their creditors – if you do this within the first year, the court can actually take their money and use it for your debt.
- Your lawyer can help advise you on personal matters that may make paying your chapter 13 harder – including adding more debt onto what you’re already trying to dig out of.
- There are some cases where it’s better to wait to file for bankruptcy; your lawyer can help you figure out the best timing and let you know whether filing for it is even a good option for you.
- There’s a lot of paperwork that you have to deal with, and it’s very time sensitive. If you don’t file it correctly, you don’t file it all, or you file it late, you could have some big issues. Your lawyer will help you get that all straight.
So, instead of trying to deal with your bankruptcy on your own, contact an attorney to help you figure out the best way to deal with your debt and the issues surrounding it; their advice could end up being very helpful to you.